Tuesday, July 3, 2012

So much to say


For several weeks, Oliver has been saying what sounds like “mama”, “dada”, and “cat”.  While the “words” sometimes seemed to be directed to us, he also often used them during his random babbles.  Since his use was not consistent, we were not convinced that he was really using his first words.  The past couple weeks he seemed to be using them to refer to us more and more, like in the morning when he would see one of us, but still we were not convinced.  

On Saturday (June 30, 2012), Oliver made it clear that he was ready to talk.  Saturday morning Oliver and I drove to a new mommy & baby yoga class for babies who crawl (we both loved the class!)  Afterward, we walked to get a coffee and breakfast at a nearby café.  On our way back to the car, we passed a woman who complimented Oliver’s newsboy cap (my favorite hat).  About three blocks later, I realized it was gone.  Since I knew exactly when he had it last, I decided to retrace our steps to see if we could find it even though it had already started heating up to nearly 100 degrees.  I apologized to Oliver for keeping him outside because it was so hot.  No luck finding the hat.  After we got back in the car, I decided to park closer to where we lost it and do one last walk through.  I continued to tell Oliver it was hot, but we would just take a quick look.  It was so hot!  Still no luck, so we headed back to the car and into the car seat.  I was helping Oliver get water from a water bottle and was saying it is so hot buddy, the water is good for you.  Then he looked up at me and as clear as day says “HOT” (mouth wide open, in almost a whisper).  Holy Crap, the kid can talk.  Of course, I asked him to repeat, which he did “HOT”.  The word has become part of his vocabulary, if you ask him if he is hot, he will tell you “hot.”  Joe has been enjoying getting him to parrot “hot” along with one of his other words “mama”.

In addition to “hot”, “dada”, “mama”, and “cat”.  Oliver said one other word this weekend.  When I say no, no to him he usually smiles at me and sometimes shakes his head no, no.  This weekend Milo was doing something and I said no, no.  Oliver looked at the cat and said “no, no”. 

There you have it, Oliver speaks.


1 comment:

  1. SOOO fun when they start talking!! Much to my dismay, Cormac's first (and by far favorite) word is NO! (pronounced nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnO) :)

    ReplyDelete