Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Barber

At breakfast this morning, I mentioned taking Oliver to the barber today. His immediate response, "I do not want to go to the barber. I want Mommy to cut my hair with a comb and scissors." I am guilty of trimming his hair around the ears and a few times trying to keep his mane under control. But, I have never tried the full on haircut. He will usually let me trim a little in the bath or I sneak a couple snips while he is sleeping. As you can imagine, these approaches have not always produced the best results. I really wanted to get him in for a professional haircut. However, he was pretty clear that he wanted me to do it.

In his defense, the last time I tried to take him to his usual barber they were closed, so I got a walk-in appointment at a salon I go to regularly. Unfortunately, the man who let us believe he was capable of cutting a toddler's hair was totally not up to the task. More alarming than the bad cut was that after we left I realized Oliver's ear was bleeding because he had cut him with his shears. Which would explain why mid-way through the cut, Oliver had lost it.

To my surprise, Oliver sat for at least 20 minutes while I cut his hair (with safety scissors and a comb). He played with his Lego trucks and occasionally brushed away the loose trimmings. Not a professional job, but it will work for now. Any when I told him I was done, he happily declared, "Now we do NOT have to go to the barber today."

Calm as could be.
The front.
The side.

No comments:

Post a Comment